Select a treatment to
get started

Which Doctors Normally Treat Erectile Dysfunction? Where To Look for ED Treatment

Read on

Deciding that you are going to get some help for ED symptoms that have been bothering you is a great first step in getting some relief from what can be a very stressful situation.

Next, you may be wanting to figure out just how the process of ED treatment normally goes. Do you start with a urologist, do you have to make a separate appointment with your general practitioner -- where should you start?

In this article, we will cover the best place to start for ED treatment, what kinds of doctors tend to deal with ED more commonly, and why specialists are sometimes needed to treat more complex situations.

Where is the best place to start with ED treatment

The best place to start with getting help for any ED issues is with your current general practitioner (GP). 

GPs are there as your first stop in new treatments, since they have been following your care and conditions for potentially a long time. 

Your general practitioner may be able to offer some insights as far as how ED may connect to your other current conditions or medications, they may get you started on an ED medication right away and help you through treatment questions, or they may refer you to a trusted specialist if your case is a little more complicated.

Which kinds of doctors treat ED?

Many doctors have the knowledge to accurately diagnose and treat erectile dysfunction since they would have covered the basic treatments in medical school.

Many people get their ED medications through their general practitioner, or even through telemedicine services that specialize in ED, if it is a more straightforward case.

However, depending on how complicated an ED situation is in regards to the potential underlying cause, certain specialists may be better suited to treat a specific case than others. 

For complicated situations, or resistant cases where the first-line medications have not helped -- a specialist may be key.

Why specialists are sometimes needed for certain ED cases

Erectile dysfunction can be closely tied to other conditions, including prostate issues, cardiovascular issues, diabetes, hormonal changes, and even mental concerns like depression, anxiety, stress, or relationship problems. 

By choosing a specialist that knows how to address the ins and outs of the potential root cause of the ED, you can get more tailored and adequate treatment that may help your symptoms while trying to control the root cause as well.


Urologists specialize in urinary and reproductive health for men. When it comes to ED treatment, they are well suited to help identify if erectile dysfunction is related to prostate concerns. They may also have diagnostic testing capabilities like doppler imaging to help assess abnormalities in penile blood flow.

They may also be able to assist in prescribing and sourcing next-step ED treatments for resistant cases like penile injections, urethral inserts, vacuum pumps, rings, or surgical penile inserts.


Endocrinologists specialize in all things hormonal. This means they are at the top of the game when it comes to low testosterone, diabetes, or thyroid issues. 

All three of these common concerns are hormonally connected and could lead to problems in the bedroom, so if one of these may be the root cause of your erectile dysfunction, an endocrinologist may be able to help you sort it out.

Mental health specialists:

ED doesn’t always stem from a physical cause. Erectile dysfunction can occur if you are dealing with depression, schizophrenia, severe anxiety, a high-stress time in your life, performance anxiety, or if your relationship with your partner has not been smooth sailing recently.

Therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, or specialists dealing with relationship counseling may be able to help address any mental health roadblocks that are holding you back in the bedroom.

Which doctors treat ED: Bottom line

Many people start their ED treatment journey by talking with their general practitioner in person, or connecting with one online via a telemedicine consult.

For most straightforward cases of ED, a general doctor may work just fine to diagnose and treat your erectile dysfunction.

However, if your situation seems a little more complex, does not respond to first-line treatments, or may be related to a specific underlying condition, you may be referred to a specialist that can address the multi-faceted issue as a whole.

Urologists, endocrinologists, and mental health specialists are just a few examples of medical professionals that may be utilized to help in certain ED cases.

Strut Health telehealth ED treatments

Here at Strut, we try to make getting treatment for ED more accessible. For straightforward cases, we offer first-line ED medications like Sildenafil and Tadalafil, as well as SuperStrut, our compounded 4-in-1 rapid dissolve tablet.

If you are interested in seeing if first-line ED treatments may be a good fit for you, you can have a free online questionnaire-based telemedicine visit with our U.S. licensed doctors today. 

If you are a good candidate for treatment, your medication will be shipped to your front door with our free shipping. If you are not a good candidate for telemedicine treatment, we will suggest that you visit with your doctor or a specialist in person.

Free shipping
Free follow-up care
Cancel anytime, no fees
Free online MD visit

Related posts