Select a treatment to
get started

Is Rosacea Curable? What You Should Know About a Rosacea Diagnosis

Read on

If you went to your doctor to figure out why your skin gets red and flushed sometimes, it is likely that they diagnosed you with Rosacea.

Rosacea is a common skin problem that occurs more frequently in women over 30 years of age.

The most common signs of rosacea are redness, flushing, and possible small fluid-filled pimples.

More severe cases of rosacea may also involve red, irritated eyes, and thickened skin on the face, usually on the nose.

If these are part of your symptoms, you are probably eager to figure out if this is a curable skin condition, how long it generally lasts, and if it worsens with age.

Read on to learn more about the progression of rosacea and what you can expect from your condition.

Is Rosacea Curable?

Unfortunately, there is currently no cure for the rosacea condition.

However, there are plenty of helpful medications available that can help reduce symptoms during a flare-up and potentially help reduce occurrences if used regularly.

Your doctor may recommend medications such as Brimonidine, Oxymetazoline, Ivermectin, Azelaic Acid, or Metronidazole to help get rosacea under control.

By consistently treating rosacea with medicated creams, and avoiding environmental and lifestyle triggers for your condition, many people can see a tapering off, or even remission of rosacea flares.

How long will my rosacea last?

For a lot of people dealing with rosacea, it will be an ongoing problem with periodic flares and clearings of the condition.

In one retrospective study, 48 rosacea patients were reviewed, and 13 years into their study 52% still had ongoing rosacea, while the remaining 48% had cleared their rosacea symptoms in an average of nine years.

So, while some people do tend to “grow out” of their rosacea symptoms after a while, many have to deal with the skin condition in an ongoing manner.

Does rosacea get worse with age?

Some people do find that rosacea worsens as you age, and have the condition for longer.

But, having worsening rosacea can also come from a person not getting treatment for the problem or avoiding their personal rosacea triggers like stress, sunlight, alcohol, hot beverages, and spicy foods, to name a few.

A worsening of rosacea could mean that occasional flares of redness and flushing, are now coming along with thickened skin on the nose or eye irritation.

If the redness of rosacea is not handled with medications and lifestyle changes, the redness of the skin can become permanent, and eye damage may occur.

Bottom Line

Rosacea does not currently have a cure for it, but there are many prescription treatments like our Strut Rosacea Formulas and lifestyle tips to help reduce the occurrence of rosacea symptoms.

Some people may find the condition worsens over time, while others may discover that they no longer have rosacea flares after a certain period of time, and have rosacea that is in remission.

Rosacea is more likely to worsen over time if the condition is not treated, resulting in more flares, more redness, potential thickening of the skin on the face, eye involvement, and the risk of permanently reddened skin.

Free shipping
Free follow-up care
Cancel anytime, no fees
Free online MD visit

Related posts